Black blocks are full of unpleasant surprises. Sometimes you don’t know which way to go today to come home safe. Aspiring athlete Moses Johnson accidentally stepped on the wrong track, which led him to sad consequences. Having become a pawn in the wrong hands, a young guy throws all his strength to avoid prison. But the stakes are too high…
“61st Street ss 2”: release date, announcement
An exact release date for the “61st Street” sequel has yet to be announced. Official sources say: 2 seasons of the project were originally ordered, 8 episodes each. It is known that the season 2 was almost completely filmed, but then canceled by AMC. The rights to the project were later acquired by The CW. The premiere of new episodes is scheduled for spring 2024.
Unable to get out of poverty, Moses Johnson decides to break out into the people on his own. Seeing the suffering of his mother, who is trying to provide him with a decent living, the guy actively begins to play sports. Already in high school, this brings brilliant results — the coach sees a prospect in him and tries to do everything so that Moses does not turn off the right path.
But an unfortunate incident changes all plans. Moses has to become a pawn in the hands of officials who solve their problems on the streets of the city. Johnson is charged with a murder he did not commit. After lengthy scandalous proceedings, the guy is still put in jail. But a lawyer comes to his defense, who is convinced of the innocence of the client.
To investigate this complicated case, Franklin Roberts is sent for help to all his friends. The only argument against Moses is the color of the skin. Since Franklin is also an African American, he quickly realizes that the testimony against the accused is fabricated and that he will have to deal with local police officers who exceed their authority.
The costs of the profession force Franklin to really look at things and admit that Moses is just a figurehead, on which the corrupt police are ready to put all the blame for the crime. A seasoned lawyer is not ready to endure such a thing in relation to a young talent. Moses’ heartbroken mother is willing to do anything to keep her son from being punished.
She does not believe that her child is capable of committing murder, so she even justifies his decision to run away from the police. But it turns out to be not so easy, because the murdered person is an important person. How will Moses prove his innocence and what arguments will Franklin give to bring to life the panel of judges who accuse the guy without physical evidence?..
The Chicago justice system has long cracked, and people have stopped believing in it. But Franklin stands firm. And Moses realizes more and more that there is still a chance to break free. After all, he is an athlete, which means that the spirit of struggle is always present!
Actors and their roles
- Franklin Roberts — a long-time lawyer; stands up for his ward; tries to appeal to others to reason and recognize his innocence, but only after a thorough search for evidence it turns out that everything has been set up for a long time and it is beneficial for the police to have a detained Moses, on whom all sins can be blamed — Courtney B. Vance.
- Moses Johnson — caught in police nets, after which he was accused of murder; trying to prove innocence with the help of a lawyer — Tosin Cole.
- Brannigan — police lieutenant; led a detachment to capture Moses Johnson; considers himself superior to others; uses official powers for personal purposes; hates blacks and considers them the lower strata of society — Holt McCallany.
- Martha Roberts — wife of Franklin; a fighting woman, never gives up, always helps her husband — Aunjanue L. Ellis.
- Norma Johnson — mother of the defendant; she brought him up alone and he is dearer to her than anything in the world; trying to do everything to ensure that Moses was released and allowed to continue his sports career — Andrene Ward-Hammond.
- It is known that work on the TV show began in October 2019. At the same time, the premiere of the project was originally supposed to take place in the second half of 2021, however, for reasons unknown to us, the show was postponed to April 2022.
- The composer of the project was Laura Karpman, known for her works performed in the projects “Sitara: Let Girls Dream”, “Inventing Tomorrow”, “Lovecraft Country“. In 2023, the film “The Marvels” starring Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson will be released, where Laura was also invited as a musical expert.
- The filming process of the season 1 took place on the streets of Chicago. The shooting involved ordinary people who often appear in the frame as minor characters.
- On IMDB, critics praised the idea, giving the picture 6.9 points — the problem of illegally condemning people, based only on the color of their skin, is still acute in most places in America.
61st Street Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||spring 2024|
|2x02||Series 2||spring 2024|
|2x03||Series 3||spring 2024|
|2x04||Series 4||spring 2024|
|2x05||Series 5||spring 2024|
|2x06||Series 6||spring 2024|
|2x07||Series 7||spring 2024|
|2x08||Series 8||spring 2024|