The story tells the biography of the now famous actress Jan Broberg, who was kidnapped twice by the same person. The TV show “A Friend of the Family” is based on an autobiographical book written by Jan and her mother. And it all started in 1970. The girl was 10 years old when her parents began to spend more and more time with their friends, Robert and Gail Berchtold…
“A Friend of the Family ss 2”: release date, announcement
A sequel to the true-crime story “A Friend of the Family” has not been announced. Jan Broberg’s consent was given only for one season, which contained the whole story that dragged on for many years. The book focuses heavily on Jan’s time with her tormentor, and least of all on his impact on his own family.
Pocatello, Idaho. Mary Ann and Bob Broberg raised three daughters. It just so happened that Bob met his namesake, Mr. Berchtold, whom everyone called B. He had three sons, a wonderful wife and always high spirits. Two families got together, had a good time and did not notice how they became closer to each other than any relatives.
While Gail took care of the boys and their newborn daughter, B spent a lot of time with Bob’s family. He often drove the girls to school, picked them up, took Jan to horse lessons once a week, and did his best to help his friends. Mary Ann could bring him food to work, and in their circle this was not considered something shameful, requiring attention.
Bob began to tire of the constant attention from B. Deciding to spend the coming evening at home with his family, he turns down a friend when he offers to take Jan to the horse ranch. Then B asks permission from Mary Ann and she, having tender feelings for a friend, decides to agree to his request. In the evening, a scandal breaks out between the spouses, since their decision was not mutual.
B does not bring the girl to the appointed hour. Parents are seriously worried and even plan to call the police, but Gail, who arrives in time, begs not to do this. She says that her husband sometimes has mental difficulties, but this cannot affect Jan in any way, since he adores her. Deciding to wait until morning, the Brobergs put off calling the police.
But the next morning, everything remains in place. Mary Ann learns that B has been working on the RV and is now out of the garage. At this time, Jan wakes up in a moving house to the sound of a radio uttering just one phrase … From that day on, the poor girl’s world collapsed, and she will be a victim of a psychopath for a long time to come…
Actors and their roles
- Bob Broberg — a quiet, calm man, a stronghold of family relationships; it is boring with him, because he is not able to cheer even his own wife; Bob can be described as a reliable protector of the family; works as a florist; begins to fear huge attention from new acquaintances and refuses to meet, which gives rise to a conflict between them — Colin Hanks.
- Mary Ann Broberg — Bob’s wife; afraid that her husband will find out about her secret desires, because she was pleased to communicate with B not just as a friend; falls for Berchtold’s tricks when Gail covers for her husband while he does unthinkable things to her daughter; for a long time she hid from her husband her passion for another man — Anna Paquin.
- Gail Berchtold — modest wife of B; afraid to say a bad word about her husband or just a joke that he can somehow interpret as an insult; tries to protect him at the moment when Mary Ann decides to involve the police in the case of the disappearance of her daughter — Lio Tipton.
- Robert Berchtold — benevolent, decent father of four children; begins to insist more and more on meetings with friends, but they are already tired of him and want to fence themselves off; then Robert decides to kidnap Jan, put her in a motor home, drug her and inspire her with the idea that she should get pregnant for aliens before her 16th birthday — Jake Lacy.
- Jan Broberg — a charming girl; at the age of 12 leaves with B to ride horses and disappears; does not understand what is happening, because she is constantly under the influence of drugs; soon takes over the words spoken by B and considers herself the savior of aliens — Hendrix Yancey / Mckenna Grace.
- The American drama “A Friend of the Family” was released digitally on October 6, 2022 via Peacock. Since the service did not disclose information about the number of viewers who watched the season 1, one can only guess about the ratings. 90% of reviews are positive.
- The TV show is based on a biographical book, which tells that B had sexual intercourse with both Brobergs in turn, while the spouses never talked about it among themselves. The first to have an affair was Mary Ann, who for several years after the kidnapping of her daughter remained in touch with the criminal.
- In 2017, based on the book, the documentary “Abducted in Plain Sight” or “Forever B” was released, which received a huge number of various awards.
- Filming of the TV series started in February 2022 and lasted 3.5 months.
A Friend of the Family Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||not announced|
|2x02||Series 2||not announced|
|2x03||Series 3||not announced|
|2x04||Series 4||not announced|
|2x05||Series 5||not announced|
|2x06||Series 6||not announced|
|2x07||Series 7||not announced|
|2x08||Series 8||not announced|
|2x09||Series 9||not announced|