After the death of Henry VIII, the moment came for the selection of a new king. According to the will, until the moment of majority of his 9-year-old son Edward VI, 16 trustees were to be in charge of the board. But in less than a couple of days, palace intrigues began. As a result, the leading positions were assigned to the Duke of Somerset, who became Lord Protector for the young king…
“Becoming Elizabeth ss 2”: release date, announcement
The continuation of the historical drama “Becoming Elizabeth” has not been officially announced. But in the case of such historical films, we can assume that the producers clearly want to please the viewer with several seasons: the main character of the TV show is young, and history remembers the many deeds of this woman during the long life of her reign. So is it worth it to be limited to one season, if they have something to tell and show to the viewer?
According to film critics, the premiere of the season 2 of “Becoming Elizabeth” will most likely take place. However, as of June 2023, there is still no information about filming.
The character of Henry VIII was known to everyone. The desire to change women, to rule eccentrically and pretentiously – such was his life. Few hoped that after hundreds of years, compatriots would be able to forget his name. Born from different mothers, Mary, Edward and Elizabeth had only one father in common. And when the moment came for Edward to take the throne, the sisters could not even think that they would soon be drawn into a dangerous game.
Wayward Mary raised many questions from the nobility. The brother believed that she needed a strong husband, able to curb the fiery temper of his sister. As for dear Elizabeth, everything seemed much simpler here. She was a timid, shy girl, she did not think about the throne, although the thought of sitting in the royal place was pleasant to her. Most of all, she wanted to decide her own fate.
After meeting the diplomat Thomas Seymour, the girl began to have romantic thoughts. But soon Elizabeth found out that her stepmother and last wife of her father, Catherine Parr, had secretly become engaged to Thomas, as the couple had long dreamed of a joint future. Edward approved of this marriage, because he did not consider Catherine’s new relationship to be something reprehensible. But the rest of the royal council found it necessary to relieve Thomas of the title.
Disagreeing with this state of affairs, Seymour turns to supporters for help, but, as is already known from the history books, an unenviable fate awaits him. The Duke of Somerset is ready to go to any lengths to harm Seymour, because he has repeatedly crossed the line. Soon, young Elizabeth becomes a pawn in the wrong hands.
Even during her lifetime, her father recognized her as an illegitimate daughter and sent her away from the court. But now Anne Boleyn’s daughter has a real chance at the throne. How will she end up at the head of the English nobility? What sacrifices will Elizabeth make to retain her royal title? The intrigues of the court haunt neither the audience nor the historians, who annually learn new facts about the past of Great Britain. And soon there will be a new version of what is happening in those years…
Actors and their roles
- Elizabeth I — the daughter of the King of England and his concubine Anne Boleyn, who during her lifetime was his favorite; after the death of her mother, Elizabeth was sent to live in another place and she rarely saw her father; had tender feelings for Thomas, but quickly abandoned her beliefs; feuds with older sister; does not understand the logic that guides the ruling brother — Alicia von Rittberg.
- Edward Seymour — 1st Duke of Somerset, a close relative of Thomas who dreamed of power; was able to fulfill his wish by becoming regent for Edward VI; has exorbitant ambitions and is ready to die for the country; won the battle for the future wife of Edward VI with the loss of 6,000 soldiers, but could not bring the bride — John Heffernan.
- Mary I — older sister of Elizabeth, daughter of the first wife of Henry VIII; quiet in front of strangers, does not want to talk about her thoughts; she is later given the nickname “Bloody Mary” — Romola Garai.
- Thomas Seymour — a diplomat whose position does not allow him to marry the beloved woman Catherine, who later goes to Henry VIII against her will; after the death of the king, the lovers get married, but their happiness does not last long — Tom Cullen.
- Edward VI — entered into royal duties at an early age and could not be realized, because he was constantly persuaded to questionable decisions — Oliver Zetterström.
- Jane Gray — considers herself the most worthy contender for the heart of young Edward — Bella Ramsey.
- The TV show aired on Starz from June to July 2022. It is considered one of the most successful projects of the year.
- The project was directed by Justin Chadwick (“The Other Boleyn Girl”, “Bleak House”), Udayan Prasad (“The Yellow Handkerchief”, “Silent Witness”) and Catherine Morshead (“Doctor Who“, “Downton Abbey”). All directors were previously associated with historical TV series, which dealt with the rule of the country by King Henry VIII.
- Bella Ramsey (born in 2003), who played Lady Jane Gray in the film, previously starred in the cult fantasy TV series “Game of Thrones“, where she got the supporting role of Lyanna Mormont, which became the actress’s debut. After this project, Bella was noticed and since then she has not stopped filming.
Becoming Elizabeth Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||not announced|
|2x02||Series 2||not announced|
|2x03||Series 3||not announced|
|2x04||Series 4||not announced|
|2x05||Series 5||not announced|
|2x06||Series 6||not announced|
|2x07||Series 7||not announced|
|2x08||Series 8||not announced|