Oscar-winning filmmaker Guillermo del Toro released an 8-episode TV show “Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities”. In an anthology, he collected the most terrifying stories he heard in his entire life. Spectators will get acquainted with monsters, demons, witches and powerful creatures, legends about which have long caused a lot of controversy. Welcome to the underworld of horror and mysticism, so much revered by the sophisticated public!
“Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities ss 2”: release date, announcement
It is still too early to judge the continuation of the TV series “Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities”, since the official announcement for the new season has not yet been made. 30 thousand IMDb users gave season 1 7.2 points out of 10, which means that the picture has every chance of getting approval for the development of season 2.
In the best case, the filming process will begin in the next 3-4 months, which means that new episodes may be released in the fall of 2023.
In past centuries, when the world was full of secrets and travel was available to few, a new form of collecting was born — “Cabinet of Curiosities”. This collection could be kept in a building, office or furniture. In such private collections one could find books, paintings, or examples of natural and non-natural history. Dragon tooth, Fijian mermaid, unicorn horn — all these items had their own history.
They could find something the size of an elephant or a bunch of keys. For example, from the pantry — a mysterious place where the past comes to life. Things that remind us of our actions, the dark side and sins. “Open your mind to fear” is the slogan for the TV show.
Each episode is filled with terrifying events that happen to different people. One of the heroes is an inveterate debtor Nick Appleton. He buys back old warehouses whose owners have died or haven’t been back for a long time. Once he gets lot 36, and the owner of the premises with warehouses says that for decades a man came, did a certain ritual before entering, and then disappeared in his warehouse for several hours. Nick is not interested, he only wants to find something valuable to get rid of debt.
Luck smiles at him — Nick finds a ouija table, and a friend advises him to turn to Agatha — a woman collects such things and pays well for them. Seeing how rare things Nick brought her, Agatha calls an old friend to come and evaluate them. Roland offers to buy back the books that were inside the table, but he needs another one to have the entire collection.
In search of it, Nick and Roland go to the warehouse, where a secret room opens up. They find many clippings of the deceased warehouse owner’s sister as they make their way through the dark labyrinth. The stench pursues them more and more and, finally, they find an inanimate woman tied to the floor, who has no face. She’s been lying there so long that her hair is stuck to the floor.
Only Roland notices that a snake lies in the middle of the eaten head. He understands that a demon was sealed into the woman a long time ago, and now it is he who owns the remains of her body. Not believing in this, Nick understands that he should have believed Roland from the very beginning, but it turns out to be too late…
There are many such stories and each is full of rumors, fables and doubts. It is not possible to find out which of them is true, which means that viewers have the choice to decide for themselves where the truth is and where the lie is…
Actors and their roles
Each episode has new main characters. Let’s list the characters of episode 1:
- Nick — deaf in one ear after the war; buys out a warehouse with antiques and becomes the owner of a spirit inventory; in an attempt to sell the finds, he meets new people and unknowingly puts them at risk — Tim Blake Nelson.
- Roland — obsessed with occult ideas; dreams of getting a collection of 4 books that can summon the devil; Together with Nick, he goes to the warehouse to look for the last book and falls into the trap of the demon he dreamed of seeing — Sebastian Roche.
- Guillermo del Toro won 2 Oscars in 2018 for The Shape of Water. He won in the nominations “Best Director’s Work” and “Best Film”.
- For each episode, a new director is taken. Episode “Lot 36” was directed by Guillermo Navarro, “Graveyard Rats” by Vincenzo Natali, “The Autopsy” by David Prior, “The Outside” by Ana Lily Amirpour, “Pickman’s Model” by Keith Thomas, “Dreams in the Witch House” – Catherine Hardwicke, “The Viewing” — Panos Cosmatos, “The Murmuring” — Jennifer Kent. There was a very long and careful selection for the director’s place. Each of the selected applicants is either a distinguished or successful master of the horror genre.
- The working title of the TV show was originally “10 After Midnight”, but during the filming process it was decided to change the name of the project to include the name Guillermo del Toro.
- While Metacritic gives the film a 73, Rotten Tomatoes already gives it a 93% rating and gives it a “certificate of freshness”. The highest ratings were given to the TV series by American viewers.
Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||autumn 2023|
|2x02||Series 2||autumn 2023|
|2x03||Series 3||autumn 2023|
|2x04||Series 4||autumn 2023|
|2x05||Series 5||autumn 2023|
|2x06||Series 6||autumn 2023|
|2x07||Series 7||autumn 2023|
|2x08||Series 8||autumn 2023|