London, 1960s. Having joined the ranks of the British military several years ago, Alfred Pennyworth understands how much he dislikes this job. Alfie hates killing people, but his duty to the Motherland forces him to do an unloved business. After the death of another friend, he decides to take a different path. But circumstances force him to re-enter the path of murder…
“Pennyworth ss 3”: release date, announcement
At the end of the season 2, it became known that the creators of the series “Pennyworth” are ready to start filming new episodes, which will begin after the transition of the TV project to HBO Max. Since in connection with the adoption of such a decision, the production process of the season 3 was suspended, the premiere of the continuation was announced only for the 2nd half of 2022.
Alfred’s once tempting prospects of becoming a sought-after worker led him into a jungle of remorse. And the fault was the many deaths that had to be seen in the war. Together with two of his comrades, he decides to try to rebuild a new business that will be legal, bring them income and free them from work for the British army.
So Pennyworth became a security guard for one of the clubs with a dubious reputation. On the very first working day, he becomes a participant in an armed fight, where he saves Thomas Wayne and his sister from being beaten. Deciding to thank Alfred, Wayne gives the defender his phone number. Pennyworth can call when he needs something. But Alfie immediately forgot both Thomas and the incident.
The main character was worried about the relationship with Esme, who was too worried about the difference in social strata between them. The girl dreams of becoming an actress, and after another walk she proposes to leave. Leaving her, Alfie turns around and sees how unknown people push the girl into the car. Not having time to snatch her from the hands of intruders, he is looking for a way to return Esme.
Soon, the kidnappers themselves contact him and offer to give him his beloved in exchange for Thomas Wayne. Hardly remembering who is in question, Alfie asks his army comrades to help him transfer Wayne into the hands of criminals. While Pennyworth is waiting for a deal and communicating with Thomas, he realizes that he cannot pass the guy into the wrong hands. This is how the friendship of the future butler with Batman’s father is struck.
Having managed to steal his beloved and at the same time not give Wayne, Pennyworth is awarded the order, which is presented to him by the Queen herself! At this time, Wayne invites Alfred to work with him on security. But the ambitious Alfie believes that after the presentation of the order, he will receive any job…
How will his fate be? How will Alfie choose to become a butler? Indeed, at the beginning of the TV series, he had an argument with his father, in which Alfie was extremely contemptuous of such work. What has changed in the views of the matured Alfred and where did Esme disappear soon after the relationship?
Actors and their roles
- Alfred Pennyworth – Former British Army soldier; did not want to fight, because he considered the deaths of the people he killed senseless; decided to open his own agency, for which he left the service; goes through life with two comrades; in love with Esme, but her arrogance is sometimes troublesome and interferes with their relationship – Jack Bannon.
- Thomas Wayne – in Britain he was nicknamed “American”, because it is immediately obvious from his manners that the guy is from another country; practical, pedantic, serious, prefers work to entertainment; takes care of his sister, who loves to go to clubs and spend time with men; offered a job to Pennyworth, but was soon turned down, which he was optimistic about – Ben Aldridge.
- Esme Winikus – Alfred’s beloved; despite the lamentations of her father, she dreams of becoming an actress, but so far she is limited to only cheap performances at a local club, where she met Alfie when he worked there as a security guard; Esme worries about the difference in thinking between her and Pennyworth, but in difficult moments she tries to be near and not bother him – Emma Corrin.
- Alfred’s story has long haunted Batman fans. So much has been invented about Bruce and almost no information about Pennyworth and his past life before the Wayne family. When it was finally revealed that a TV series about the butler would be coming out soon, the expectation rate reached 100%.
- Jack Bannon believes that the “Pennyworth” project will delight viewers for a long time, since the writers have already prepared a lot of material, which will be enough for 7 or more seasons. Bannon got used to his character, and even Pennyworth’s ridiculous hairstyle, which so annoyed the actor at the very beginning, became his constant companion.
- Ben Aldridge had doubts about the role of Thomas for a very long time. At first, the actor wanted to play the role of a butler, but he was refused. Then the actor was offered the role of Wayne – but here he decided to refuse. It took him a month of thought and a second invitation to audition to really understand whether he wants to take part in the project or not.
Pennyworth Season 3: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|3x01||Series 1||autumn 2022|
|3x02||Series 2||autumn 2022|
|3x03||Series 3||autumn 2022|
|3x04||Series 4||autumn 2022|
|3x05||Series 5||autumn 2022|
|3x06||Series 6||autumn 2022|
|3x07||Series 7||autumn 2022|
|3x08||Series 8||autumn 2022|
|3x09||Series 9||autumn 2022|
|3x10||Series 10||autumn 2022|