Netflix is known for carefully crafting content for a respected viewer. However, the fact that a South Korean project appeared among the proposed TV series surprised everyone. Unexpectedly for viewers and film critics, the 9-episode film turned out to be so exciting that after watching season 1 on the network they immediately started talking about season 2. A similar reaction was, perhaps, with the popular Spanish TV series “Money Heist” (“La casa de papel”, “The House of Paper”) , shown to the world viewer also thanks to Netflix. And if we compare the above two projects, then there is no doubt that the continuation of the TV show “Squid Game” awaits us.
Genre – thriller, drama.
The premiere of the season 1 took place on September 17, 2021 (9 episodes).
The original title of the TV show is “Ojingeo geim”.
“Squid Game ss 2”: release date, announcement
The “Squid Game” Season 2 is currently known to be in development. Filming began in November 2021. The main character of the new episodes will remain the character Seong Gi-hun, played by actor Lee Jung-jae.
Most likely, the season 2 premiere date will be kept under wraps for as long as possible. We only know that the premiere of new episodes of “Squid Game” will be released no earlier than 2024.
456 players from different walks of life gathered in one room to participate in the Game. They do not know each other, but they have one thing in common: huge monetary debts. Having received a unique chance to make good money playing the game, none of them knew that the loser was losing his own life. But after the 1st round, the scared players got a chance to return to their normal life. Having lived a couple of days at large, plunged into problems that have not gone away, most of them returned to the Game.
Each level is participation in a children’s game that everyone knows. But within society, discord begins: the more aggressive, greedy and strong decide to get rid of the maximum number of players. Fewer rivals – more winning. After the night massacre, people become much less, and the fear in the eyes of the survivors is many times greater. What else will the organizers of the Game come up with? And can a young police officer help stop this chaos and find his missing brother?..
- Seong Gi-hun / №456 – spends all his money on gambling and cannot help himself; lives with a sick mother who supports him; divorced, has a daughter, loves her very much; upset by the news that in a year his daughter will forever fly to the United States with her mother and stepfather; becomes a player in a deadly game for the sake of money – Lee Jung-jae.
- Cho Sang-woo / №218 – childhood friend and classmate of Seong Gi-hun, has always been an example and pride for him; the head of an investment group in the past, in the present – a loser with large debts; wanted for stealing money from clients and numerous debts; continues to deceive his mother, who thinks that her son lives abroad, is very rich and successful; knowing what kind of game was waiting for them, Cho Sang-woo did not give a hint to Seong Gi-hun, but by a lucky chance he was able to pass it successfully – Park Hae-soo.
- Kang Sae-byeok / №67 – North Korean refugee; does not believe people, because everyone seeks to deceive her and ditch her; dreams of paying a broker who could transport her mother across the border for a lot of money; looks after her younger brother, who misses his parents a lot – Jung Ho-yeon.
- Abdul Ali / №199 – migrant from Pakistan; lives with his wife and small child and cannot provide for them, since the employer has not paid for six months; in the first game, he saved Seong Gi-hun’s life, after which he became friends with him and became a member of his team – Anupam Tripathi.
- Oh Il-nam / №1 – an old man, a participant in the Game; have brain cancer; believes that participation in the Game is better than waiting for death in the outside world – O Yeong-su.
- Hwang Jun-ho – a young police officer looking for a missing brother; accidentally hears information about the death game from Song Ki Hoon; decides to follow him and enters the Game as a guard – Wi Ha-joon.
- The name of the TV show is taken from the Korean children’s game of the same name, which is so named because the playing field drawn on the ground resembles the shape of a squid. The conditions of the game are described in detail at the beginning of the 1st episode of the TV series.
- Hwang Dong-hyuk acted not only as a screenwriter for the TV series, but also as a director for all seasons of the film. It is known that the idea to write a script came to him a long time ago. In 2009, the story of the main characters was completely written, but Hwang Dong-hyuk was faced with the question of finding a production company that could finance the project. As a result, Netflix acted as such a company, which, in an effort to expand its content with the help of various unpopular foreign TV projects, stumbled upon the “Squid Game” script. It happened in 2019, and in October 2021 the first episodes were shown, which delighted the viewer.
- Netflix estimates that the TV series should generate approximately $ 890 million in revenue, which is considered a whopping sum. It is known that the production of all 9 episodes took just over $ 21 million – this is considered a small waste.
- After the release of the TV series, the actors became mega-popular all over the world. So, actress-model Jung Ho Young, who played player number 67, had the largest increase in followers. Before participating in the series, the girl had 400 thousand subscribers, after the premiere – more than 13 million. And this within a month after the last episode was shown!
- In the first two episodes, there are scenes where a card for an invitation to the Game with a printed phone number is shown. As it turned out, the number was real. After the series aired, an unknown Korean woman began receiving 4,000 calls every day. At the same time, people wanted to take part in such a game. After this incident, Netflix promised to edit the scenes with the card and remove the phone number.
- The TV show “Squid Game” for Netflix proved to be the most watched project in history. In the first month, the film was watched by more than 110 million viewers. The previous record belongs to the TV series “Bridgerton” with 82 million viewers.
Squid Game Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|