Poverty and the premature death of Marian Brook’s father forced her to go to her aunts in New York. Agnes van Rhijn and Ada Brook did not communicate with their brother for many years, because in their younger years he left them penniless, and squandered his fortune in bars and casinos. But they do not intend to refuse to help their niece. And although the relationship between them is difficult, they are ready to overcome everything…
“The Gilded Age ss 2”: release date, announcement
The continuation of the historical drama “The Gilded Age” has not yet been officially announced. However, various sources claim that Julian Fellowes, the writer of the script, hinted in his interviews that he is working on new episodes. If the production process for Season 2 begins immediately after the end of Season 1, the sequel could premiere as early as early 2023.
At the same time as Marian, the Russell family drives into the same street. Since Ada and Agnes consider themselves old New Yorkers and oppose newfangled trends, the young girl is forbidden to communicate with new neighbors. Bertha Russell is famous for her wayward manners, she loves everything new and vividly demonstrates to the old that life belongs to the young.
Bertha’s children support this way of life. Larry is a student at Harvard University and Gladys helps her mother with household chores. The head of the family, George, made a colossal fortune on the construction of the railway — the accumulated finances were enough for them to live comfortably until the end of their days and support the necessary servants.
Once Bertha manages to get to a charity evening, where Agnes plans to raise funds from the guests for the education of orphans. The woman immediately understands that here they only want to receive a solid check from her, so she turns around and leaves. At home, she writes invitations to a ball that she plans to host in her house, hoping to attract investors to her side.
What Berta hadn’t considered was that almost everyone on her guest list belonged to old New York. No one wanted to do business with her, let alone spoil relations with Agnes. The exception was Marian — Bertha seemed amazing to her from the first meeting. Having hidden her departure from her aunts, the girl went to the ball and made friends with the neighbor’s children.
Taking an unsuccessful ball for defeat, Bertha did not give up. On the contrary, she became even more convinced that this city needs innovation. The fight against the old people who maintain the established order will be severe. And Mrs. Russell is not a timid woman. She has few followers, but everyone is ready to give their heart to the cause…
Actors and their roles
- Marian — a young lady who came to her closest relatives from the other side of the country; befriends her African-American maid who helped Marian get to New York; the girl honors the memory of her dead father and reproaches Agnes when she begins to speak badly about her parent; friends with the Russell family, despite the prohibitions of aunts — Louisa Jacobson.
- Bertha — recently moved into a new house, where renovations from a modern architect lasted for a long time; criticized by neighbors, even her servants are worried that the violent temper of the housekeeper can cause them problems; loves to lead the family, workers, while treating everyone with understanding and kindness — Carrie Coon.
- Agnes — could not forgive Marian’s father because, in her youth, he did not fulfill his duty, did not take care of the sisters and left them to the mercy of fate; Agnes had to marry a tyrant, years of life with whom affected her character; provided for her sister Ada, who never married — Christine Baranski.
- Oscar — the son of Agnes; smart, insightful, loves women’s society; on good terms with his mother and aunt — Blake Ritson.
- Ada — having learned about the death of her brother, she sent a letter to Marian with an offer to come and sent money to her for the journey; Ada is very kind, does not like conflicts, but defends the interests of her niece in front of Agnes — Cynthia Nixon.
- In life, Cynthia Nixon is not as weak in spirit as her heroine. In 2018, the actress ran for governor of New York and lost by a small margin to her opponent. The woman openly accused him of a predisposition to the financial oligarchy and a lack of interest in improving the lives of the lower strata of the population.
- The Gilded Age is the period from the 1870s to the late 1890s, the time of the rapid development of the US economy after the Civil War. It was during this era that the country developed at the fastest pace in its history.
- Christine Baranski celebrated her 69th birthday while filming. Since her family lives in New York, and the shooting took place in Newport (Rhode Island), the actress had to celebrate the holiday with her colleagues.
- For actress Louise Jacobson, the role of Marian was her debut one. Before that, she performed only on the stage.
The Gilded Age Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||early 2023|
|2x02||Series 2||early 2023|
|2x03||Series 3||early 2023|
|2x04||Series 4||early 2023|
|2x05||Series 5||early 2023|
|2x06||Series 6||early 2023|
|2x07||Series 7||early 2023|
|2x08||Series 8||early 2023|
|2x09||Series 9||early 2023|
|2x10||Series 10||early 2023|