XIX century. The dislike for blacks continues. Slaves are bought and sold … John Brown planned from the very beginning to “fight for his cause.” Confident that equality must take into account the rights and interests of African Americans, he shoots in all directions, chops off heads, and always repeats lines from the Bible. Once on his way he meets a negro boy…
“The Good Lord Bird ss 2”: release date, announcement
The sequel to the breathtaking TV show “The Good Lord Bird” has not yet been announced, although the project has every chance of continuing into the next season – an incredible rating could be an impetus for the director to create new episodes.
At best, the TV series will be released in October 2021, and until that time you can enjoy watching Season 1.
The story is told from the perspective of a negro boy named Henry. Working with the father for the white man, they serve the other white man. While Henry is cleaning his shoes, the father tries to shave the stranger. A conversation ensues, during which Henry learns – an unknown man is against the oppression of blacks and he in every possible way mentions the Lord merciful in his speeches.
When the owner Henry finds out about this, he goes into a rage. Instead of apologizing to the slave owner, the stranger shoots him and introduces himself as John Brown. A skirmish begins, the boy’s father is accidentally killed, and John, threatening the slave owner, takes the child with him. By chance, Brown thought it was a girl and her name was Henrietta.
After changing into a dress and giving him a new name Onion, John takes him on a trip around the country. By stopping in some places, Brown learns how people feel about equality and what they vote for. Together with them on the road there are always John’s children, already grown men, helping their father in his “divine” deeds. For lack of love for blacks, Brown is ready to cut off the head of the first comer.
Henry realizes his plight and decides not to betray his true gender. Pretending to be a girl and changing into a dress, he does the simplest job, while remaining in good standing with the members of the group. No one pesters him, since everyone in John’s squad is well-bred. But Henry still can’t get used to the constant sight of blood.
The war for racial equality is becoming more and more bloody and the boy will have to participate in it. Having escaped from Brown’s camp, he was not punished. John only wanted to know the reason for his escape and greeted the guy with a warm greeting. A Negro in the middle of Kansas would be foolish to leave such a good-natured owner, even if Brown did not consider himself so.
And while they are traveling, Henry is forced to wear dresses and periodically think about escape routes. But the longer they go, the longer the remaining path seems to be. When does the boy already admit to his group that he is not a girl? How will John react to this? What other sacrifices will people bear for justice in the opinion of John and the Good Lord?
Actor and their roles
- John Brown – an eccentric middle-aged man; believes in the purpose of a black-and-white bird, similar to a crow, calls it the Lord Bird, its death means a bad omen; kills people for not believing in the laws of the Lord; travels around Kansas with his sons; John also has a daughter – Ethan Hawke.
- Henry – a negro who is being oppressed; thanks to John, he was freed from slavery, but he could not find a place for himself in the world; when he met Brown, he lost his father, then went on the run, becoming part of Brown’s team; wears dresses and pretends to be a girl – Joshua Caleb Johnson.
- Ethan Hawke wore prosthetics for the role for two months of filming, the appearance of which confused all the crew members, as well as viewers who later watched the show. The director shot close-ups of scenes where saliva spurts from the character’s mouth, yellowed crooked teeth are visible, while John Brown shouted lines from the Bible.
- There are only 2 men and 3 women in the directing staff of such a cruel western. Albert Hughes and Kevin Hooks were the first to take on directing positions. They were later joined by Haifaa al-Mansour, Kate Woods. And the main director was Darnell Martin, remembered by the audience for a long list of TV projects that helped her make a dizzying career.
- Ethan Hawke not only skillfully portrayed the protagonist, whose emotional throwing never ceases to amaze, but he also helped with the creation of the script, adding the most sophisticated scenes to the picture. Giving preference to acting, he did not delve into the plot, but easily gave great ideas worthy of showing them to the viewer.
- It is known that before filming, Joshua Caleb Johnson took an autograph and a souvenir photo from Ethan Hawke. The film crew was amused by this, and the guy had long decided to become an actor precisely thanks to the films with Ethan.
The Good Lord Bird Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||not announced|
|2x02||Series 2||not announced|
|2x03||Series 3||not announced|
|2x04||Series 4||not announced|
|2x05||Series 5||not announced|
|2x06||Series 6||not announced|
|2x07||Series 7||not announced|