Finally, we waited! Fans of the whole franchise will learn about what was happening in Middle-earth 3000 years before the events of the movie “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring”! Five seasons of the TV series are being prepared, which will tell about different times and touch the heroes that fans loved 20 years ago. What is the future of the project? And why was half the cast fired in the middle of filming?
“The Lord of the Rings ss 2”: release date, announcement
The continuation of the fascinating fantasy show “The Lord of the Rings” will not be seen until the end of 2022.
And although it is known about the duration of the project, no one announced the exact date. It is known that the total budget spent on the 1st and 2nd seasons exceeded $ 500 million. “The Lord of the Rings” project is considered the most expensive TV series ever. As a reminder, Season 1 consists of 8 episodes.
Evil never left Middle-earth. And even in distant times, when the beloved heroes of the franchise did not yet exist, someone had to protect their native lands. At any time, there are heroes whose mission is to overthrow evil and restore justice. It happened this time too.
The people in Mordor were forced to fight the hordes of Sauron, otherwise they would have to accept other another’s terms. Then Sauron was defeated, but most importantly, he lost the Rings of Power, which became the starting point of all events and marked the end of the Second Age.
Thanks to official information from Twitter, viewers periodically found clues to the future story in publications. First, separate map fragments appeared, and later Numenor. On the latest maps of Middle-earth, this island simply does not exist, since it was destroyed after Sauron lost in a battle with humans.
There is a good chance Season 2 will feature the myths of the Silmarillion. Of course, only if the heirs of the great author John Ronald Reuel Tolkien agree to sell the rights. There were lengthy negotiations with the writer’s relatives, and for a long time they refused to sell. But the plot that captures the Second Age suggests that an agreement has been reached.
Amazon is actively fueling rumors about the show, but how can that compare to fans’ expectations? How did season 2 intrigue viewers more than the first one? What new characters will appear on the screen and who will be the central figure of the story?
What is known about the cast of the TV show?
While season 1 was being filmed, there were two cast changes and re-shoots of scenes, as the leading actors were fired one by one. The reasons were different: from personal hostility to unprofessionalism on the part of the artists. None of the producers, directors, and screenwriters tolerated when actors came up with suggestions to change words, frame, scene, or even attire.
Since an incredible amount of money has been invested in the project, the work of each team member is concrete and reasonable. Thus, the screenwriter does not meddle in the work of the producers, and the producer does not dare to reproach the screenwriter – such a rule is obligatory for everyone. During the first 4 years, while work was underway regarding the TV series, it became known about the participation of the following movie stars:
- Lenny Henry (“Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban”),
- Peter Mullan (“Disparue”, “Cursed“, “Westworld“),
- Augustus Prew (“High-Rise”, “Pure Genius”, “Prison Break: Sequel”),
- Cynthia Addai-Robinson (“Shooter”, “Chicago Med”, “Power“),
- Simon Merrells (“Knightfall”, “12 Monkeys”, “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow“, “Good Omens“),
- Maxim Baldry (“Skins”, “Hollyoaks”, “Years and Years”).
The last changes took place 2 weeks before the re-shooting of the Season 1 scenes in 2020.
- Five seasons of the TV show will cost Amazon more than $ 1 billion. For comparison – the most expensive TV series were considered “Game of Thrones” and “The Witcher“, each season of which cost $ 80 million. And even 8 seasons of “Game of Thrones” ended up costing $ 750 million, including all sorts of expenses.
- The filming process is concentrated in New Zealand, where most of the crew members spent almost a year and a half. Due to the pandemic, some team members were unable to return home to their families in time, staying in a foreign country until strict prohibitions passed and tests for coronavirus showed negative results.
- John Ronald Reuel Tolkie is the author of the legendary science fiction novel “The Lord of the Rings”. On May 3, 2021, the biopic “Tolkien” was released in theaters, which tells the story of the life of a man who has become an idol for a whole generation. The life of the writer was incredibly difficult and deserved a separate film in which the audience could understand the author and his love for fantastic creatures.
- The first two episodes were directed by Juan Antonio Bayona, whose popular films “A Monster Calls” and “Jurassic World”, starring Christopher Pratt, have gained worldwide fame. Bayona stayed in New Zealand until the last day of filming. From his Twitter, it became known that the filming of season 1 ended in December 2020.
The Lord of the Rings Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||the end of 2022|
|2x02||Series 2||the end of 2022|
|2x03||Series 3||the end of 2022|
|2x04||Series 4||the end of 2022|
|2x05||Series 5||the end of 2022|
|2x06||Series 6||the end of 2022|
|2x07||Series 7||the end of 2022|
|2x08||Series 8||the end of 2022|