Kentucky. 1950s. Beth Harmon and her mother have an accident, where only the girl remains alive. Once in the orphanage, she becomes obsessed with the game that the local guard likes so much. She stubbornly asks to teach her, and eventually becomes the best chess player. But there are also side effects to this calm play…
“The Queen’s Gambit ss 2”: release date, announcement
The sequel to the sports drama “The Queen’s Gambit” has not yet been announced, but rumors are being actively discussed on the network that the creators are seriously thinking about Season 2. According to some publications, Anya Taylor-Joy herself, the lead actress, offered the producers her idea of the plot for new episodes. We are waiting for the new season! And we will double-check the information in November 2021.
Recall, the 7-episode show is based on the novel of the same name by writer Walter Tevis, which was written about 40 years ago.
After the accident, Beth becomes even more self-contained. Although the orphanage treats her well, the girl still feels oppressed. One day she notices how Mr. Shaibel, the custodian, constantly in the basement, plays chess with himself. The girl begins to follow him, and then she decides to become the second opponent in his games. Unfortunately for Beth, the custodian refuses, calling chess not a woman’s business.
Beth has to make a lot of efforts in order to achieve his affection for her. As a result, the man becomes kinder to her and begins to gradually teach the game. At the same time, she receives 2 tablets from a local doctor. Red should be taken immediately, and green, on the advice of a friend, Beth prefers to stock up for the night. After all, the fun begins at night.
On the ceiling, like a game of Beth’s imagination, a chessboard unfolds. On it she works out moves, learns new games, and the next day she goes to defeat Mr. Shaibel. Problems begin when the director of the orphanage finds out about it. They are trying to convince the girl that going to the basement is not the best idea for a young girl.
But Beth continues to do what she does. Green pills help her achieve the results she so hard attained in the game. But a scandal flares up in the state and children are prohibited from giving such pills. After that, Beth feels that she is addicted to drugs, she even tries to steal a jar of tranquilizers. But from the overdose, her plan is not working.
Time passes, Beth still plays chess, and at the same time at the world level. In addition to maintaining her passion for the game, she also couldn’t deny herself the pleasure of taking drugs. There comes a moment when she will have to choose – all or nothing. But how to choose if she can’t see her life without chess?
The girl will have to overcome her struggle with drugs and other bad habits, for example, an uncontrolled love of chess… And which of the readers saw the end of the 1st season? How strong was the surprise at what you saw?
Actors and their roles
- Beth – the full name of Elizabeth, a chess player who spent her youth at a girls’ orphanage; developed an interest in chess thanks to a local watchman; she is passionate about the game as well as the tranquilizers, which she received from the first day in an orphanage until the day when the states banned the sale of such drugs to children – Anya Taylor-Joy.
- Mr. Shaibel – the custodian at the Methuen Home; at first he did not show any interest in the annoying Beth, but in the end he realized that she was talented; subsequently invited the director of the chess school to look at the girl’s talent; the man always played with her in the basement, helped her learn new moves, gave books on the chess game – Bill Camp.
- Alice – Beth’s mother; took her away from her father; the last words that her daughter heard from her, sitting in the back seat of the car: “Close your eyes”, Beth never wants to tell anyone about this; was a famous woman, but had personal problems – Chloe Pirrie.
- The TV show was directed by renowned Scott Frank, whose films and TV series often become famous around the world. His most popular works: “Logan”, “The Wolverine”, “Get Shorty“, “Godless“.
- Before filming for Anya Taylor-Joy, a real chess player was invited, who taught her the correct pronunciation in the game, taught her elementary moves. By the end of the training, the man joked that a little more, and Anya would surpass her own character in talent, since the girl really has an interest in the game.
- For the role of Alice, Chloe Pirrie had to put on fake strands, since at that time the actress’s hair was short. The woman really liked her image and even after the end of filming, the actress grew her hair.
- More than 50 chessboards were used as props, which had to be changed constantly – the chess school had the cheapest chess. At tournaments they had to take more expensive ones.
- In the wardrobe of the main character, there were only 15 dresses, which is considered a very small number for a TV series of this scale. At the same time, in the frame, Taylor-Joy always looked harmonious.
The Queen's Gambit Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||not announced|
|2x02||Series 2||not announced|
|2x03||Series 3||not announced|
|2x04||Series 4||not announced|
|2x05||Series 5||not announced|
|2x06||Series 6||not announced|
|2x07||Series 7||not announced|