Jake Adelstein is an aspiring Jew born in Missouri. When he was young, his father often took him to crime scenes, after which the parent wrote devastating articles that all of America remembers. As an adult, Jake retained warm memories of the time spent with his father, and the guy decided to become an employee of the best newspaper in the world…
“Tokyo Vice ss 2”: release date, announcement
The continuation of the crime drama “Tokyo Vice” has not been officially announced, but film critics are sure that the issue of the season 2 has been resolved. The excellent ratings of the season 1 give a positive forecast — the producers are unlikely to stop at the release of only 8 episodes. The expected time for the premiere of new episodes is April 2023. We are waiting for more accurate information from official sources.
Jake adored chains of logic that could shed light on the victim’s cause of death. His father spent many years working as a journalist and instilled in his son a love for this profession for many years. When it was time to choose his future, Jake decided to go to Japan. Leaving the institute in Missouri, he flew to study in Tokyo.
For 3 years he managed to learn Japanese. Before starting work, Adelstein successfully passed the test, most of the questions of which were devoted to the Japanese language. After impressing the admissions committee with excellent results, he was hired by one of the five national newspapers.
Up to this point, the “Yomiuri Shimbun” had been staffed exclusively by Japanese people. Therefore, Jake’s colleagues believed that the guy was a foreign agent who came from the United States to find out local secrets. Tokyo is inhabited by the Yakuza, who still inspire fear in the locals. People burn themselves alive just to avoid falling into the hands of villains who will do something worse to them.
One day, Jake witnesses a terrible incident. Right on the street, in the middle of the crowd, a man douses himself with gasoline and sets himself on fire. Deciding to learn more about what happened, the guy goes to his wife, who talks about the debts and terrible secrets of the deceased spouse. From that moment on, Jake gets down to business with even greater enthusiasm.
But the newspaper does not approve of Jake’s noble intentions. Forcing them to write whatever the management wants, Adelstein is forbidden to touch the situation with the burnt man. But how can he give up what he has been watching for the past three years? Jake has long realized that the Japanese are not as simple as they seem – many of them are closely related to the Yakuza.
People understand what danger comes from bandits. However, there are practically no daredevils capable of putting at least one yakuza in prison. Using all the skills in his arsenal, Jake decides to get to the killers and write something about them that can destroy the evil…
Actors and their roles
- Jake Adelstein — a guy who moved to Japan and decided to stay in Tokyo for a long time; surprised by the actions of local mafiosi, who represent a whole cult; thanks to perseverance, he earned himself a place in the best printed publication, where he eventually worked for 12 years; in recent years has been able to leave a mark on Japanese culture; never afraid of the difficulties and threats of bandits — Ansel Elgort.
- Hiroto Katagiri — works with Jake; is a detective of the local police, is engaged in the fight against organized crime, including the yakuza; helps his young friend not to cross the line and stay alive; perfectly controls himself in a difficult situation — Ken Watanabe.
- Jake Adelstein is a real person whose story is told in his 2009 autobiography “Tokyo Vice”. He devoted a lot of time to uncovering the secrets of people who are capable of leading an illegal lifestyle. Adelstein was repeatedly beaten and threatened by Japanese crime groups.
- The lead actor Ansel Elgort has repeatedly become the face of popular films. Among them are the melodrama “The Fault in Our Stars” starring Shailene Woodley, the action movie “Baby Driver” and Steven Spielberg’s musical “West Side Story”, which received 7 nominations in 2022 at the Oscars.
- There are even more famous films in Ken Watanabe’s career: “Inception” starring Leonardo DiCaprio, “Godzilla: King of the Monsters”, “Batman Begins”, “Memoirs of a Geisha”, “The Last Samurai” and others, as well as scoring of the cartoon “Isle of Dogs”.
- The season 1 was based on the book of the same name by Jake Adelstein, after which several more stories were written related to the underworld of Japan. Most likely, one of them will become the basis for the season 2.
- Initially, the project “Tokyo Vice” was supposed to be released as a film. Daniel Radcliffe was cast for the lead role of Jake Adelstein. Work on the film began in 2013, filming was supposed to start in the summer of 2014, but the project was suspended for unknown reasons. It was taken up only in June 2019. It was decided to release an 8-episode TV series. The executive producer was Ansel Elgort, who was later cast in the lead role.
Tokyo Vice Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||spring 2023|
|2x02||Series 2||spring 2023|
|2x03||Series 3||spring 2023|
|2x04||Series 4||spring 2023|
|2x05||Series 5||spring 2023|
|2x06||Series 6||spring 2023|
|2x07||Series 7||spring 2023|
|2x08||Series 8||spring 2023|