What would happen to the Marvel Universe if the lives of our favorite heroes turned out differently? What would happen to Venom if he decided to move into the Punisher’s body? What would Peggy Carter’s life be like if she had to take serum instead of everyone’s favorite Captain America? How many “what If…?” will appear in the animated series? There is an answer to all questions!..
“What If…? ss 2”: release date, announcement
The sequel to the exciting animated anthology series “What If …?” officially announced. Of course, it’s too early to talk about an exact release date. However, according to official sources, the premiere of new episodes will take place in early 2023. The season 2 will also consist of 9 episodes.
It is known that the development of new episodes began in the summer of 2021, even before the release of the season 1.
The screenwriters offer viewers a look at all well-known heroes, if their life had turned out differently. For example, Peggy Carter, who has feelings for Steve Rogers, once decided not to leave him when injecting the serum. Noticing that something was wrong, she reacted instantly. As a result, Rogers was injured, but the process had to continue.
In order not to torment the guy, Peggy decided that the serum would be injected into her. Without a doubt about the correctness of her decision, Howard Stark disobeyed the orders of his superiors, allowing the girl to become a victim of the experiment. The results were noticeable immediately: Carter became stronger, more enduring, while she managed to train and devote time to Rogers’ recovery.
For the American army, this was a colossal leap forward, but the Red Skull, who fought on the side of the Third Reich, did not want to surrender its positions. During the war, Stark built a huge iron frame for Steve – in it he could fight on a par with Carter. In the last battle for independence, the Americans won, but the price was too high.
This combination of circumstances led to the fact that Steve remained the subject of ridicule, and only a new appearance helped him to somehow rehabilitate himself in the eyes of those around him. Peggy had to fight the monster, but it was only possible to drive him into the tesseract if she went there herself. The relationship between Steve and Peggy ended without really starting — the guy lost his beloved.
There are other universes in which Captain America fights on the side of evil and even gains the upper hand. Star-Lord appears in the guise of a black man who is known in the original films as Black Panther. As a child, the Ravagers stole him from his family, mistaking him for Ego’s son. Few people knew that the real son’s name was Peter Quill, and he works as a janitor in a restaurant.
The season 2 will show even more fascinating stories that will tell about Doctor Strange, Natasha Romanoff, Iron Man, Thanos and other famous characters. Millions of universes will open before the eyes of the viewer, and it remains only to guess which of them the scriptwriters will take us to this time…
Main characters and voice actors
- Uatu — voice-over; observes what is happening from the outside, without having an opinion, just tells a story; he starts and ends each episode — Jeffrey Wright.
- Captain Peggy Carter — holds a higher position than in the original film, because she owns super powers and was able to prove to her boss (having conquer the tesseract alone) the need for her own promotion; in love with Steve, she promised him a dance, but before that she went to the tesseract with her enemy — Hayley Atwell.
- Steve Rogers — sweetheart of Carter; a man physically weak, but full of will and determination, for whom a special suit was created, in which Steve could fight on a par with Peggy, but he could not save her at a crucial moment — Josh Keaton.
- Red Skull — a villain who dreamed of conquering the world and destroying the Earth; was killed by a monster that he himself released from the tesseract; hiding under the guise of a man as long as it was beneficial to him — Ross Marquand.
- Bucky Barnes — American Army soldier; almost died, but his friends Peggy and Steve managed to come to the rescue in time; helped them in the most difficult battles; very worried about the loss of Rogers — Sebastian Stan.
- Not all of the actors involved in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films have been recruited to provide voice acting for the animated series. The main persons of the project (Captain America, Natasha Romanoff, Captain Marvel, Peter Parker, Ultron and others) were not invited and were voiced by other actors. Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Tom Hiddleston (Loki), Samuel Jackson (Nick Fury), Benedict Cumberbatch (Dr. Stephen Strange) were ready to provide assistance and voice the characters they played in the movies.
- The rights to the Spider-Man movie were owned by Sony Picturies and the producers of the TV project “What If…?” for a long time could not win the favor of the company. In 2020, an additional contract was signed with Sony Picturies for permission to use Parker in the animated series.
- Season 2 will feature all of the characters included in the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Four. This includes TV projects that will be released from 2021 to 2023.
What If...? Season 2: release date
|Number||Series title||Release date|
|2x01||Series 1||Early 2023|
|2x02||Series 2||Early 2023|
|2x03||Series 3||Early 2023|
|2x04||Series 4||Early 2023|
|2x05||Series 5||Early 2023|
|2x06||Series 6||Early 2023|
|2x07||Series 7||Early 2023|
|2x08||Series 8||Early 2023|
|2x09||Series 9||Early 2023|